At Charnwood Primary Academy, reading is a top priority and is a key driver for our curriculum:
- We have a Reading Leadership Team comprised of the English Lead, Early Reading Lead and a Phonics Lead. We follow the EYFS framework and the National Curriculum.
- It is our intention to ensure that by the end of their primary education, all pupils are able to read fluently and with confidence, in any subject, in their forthcoming secondary education.
- It is our intent that children have the opportunity to read every day.
We follow the Phonics Bug SSP, supplemented by The Phonics Queen for letter formation rhymes and actions.
- We aim to build children’s speaking and listening skills
- We aim to prepare children for learning to read by developing their phonic knowledge and skills in a consistent method.
- We intend to encourage all pupils to read widely across fiction, non-fiction and poetry to develop: knowledge of themselves and the world in which they live.
- We intend to establish an appreciation and love of reading
- We intend to gain knowledge across the curriculum; and develop their comprehension skills.
- We aim to provide vocabulary rich reading material and expose children to a variety of conversational vocabulary to subject specific terminology.
We teach comprehension skills from Y1 – 6 with the help of our Thinkers Moves and VIPERS.
- Our curriculum is made progressive through the use of the Reading Vipers objectives, which link to the National Curriculum.
- We use a range of age-related texts comprising of fiction, non-fiction and poetry.
Accelerated Reader and Home Readers
We use Accelerated Reader for children from Years 1 to 6 once they have completed phase 5 in phonics.
- Children show their understanding of the texts they have read by answering quizzes.
- Children will have a home reading book linked to their phonics phase and once they have reached the end of phase 5, they will move to Accelerated Reader.
- We encourage children to read at least 3 times per week at home to support their reading development.
Click here to open a parent fact sheet about Accelerated Reader.
Find books on Accelerated Reader
See how your children are achieving on their quizzes